10/14/12 – No hiking this weekend :(

14 Oct

The above picture is from a hike I did this summer before I started this blog.  This week I actually planned 3 different hikes for this weekend and each one was eliminated due to uncontrollable circumstances.  The first one was close to the east side of Rocky Mountain National Park, I was looking forward to non-hazy views of Long’s peak and Mt. Meeker and it was over 10 miles long so would have been the perfect stamina builder.  Unfortunately a forest fire started on Wednesday not far from the trailhead and so that one was out….

The second one, was going to be a high hike to a lake that might give us other options if we felt like pushing it, but then the weather forecast changed and 8-10 inches of snow were expected to start falling Friday night into Saturday morning.

The 3rd one, was just outside of Boulder and was supposed to be a butt burner with a 2400 foot elevation gain in the first 1.3 miles, but when I called  to check on the trail it was still closed after terrible forest fires this summer.

In the end I decided on a nice 7 mile hike on the plains I never got to finish that fateful weekend in March when my switch flipped. It would have been a good hike to write about, especially since it was the one that woke me up!  Alas, destiny had another plan for me this weekend!  In the middle of the night I was struck by a stomach bug and my weekend has been spent in bed, the bathroom and on a couch feeling lazy and sick.

Fortunately I have company coming in on Wednesday and we are doing 2-3 hikes as part of her visit. So after her visit there will be more hiking posts!

14 Responses to “10/14/12 – No hiking this weekend :(”

1. joshbakerwriter 10/14/2012 at 11:49 am #

I hate it when plans go sideways. I posted today in a similar vein, just reflecting on an old hike rather than actually going out. Hope you feel better and can get back out there soon!

• hikingtohealthy 10/14/2012 at 12:56 pm #

I know!!!! I loved your pictures form your old hike, beautiful! Hope you can get back out there soon too!

2. Ingrid 10/14/2012 at 1:04 pm #

Sorry to hear about your bummer weekend. You’ve inspired me to get back out there and hike. Hubby and I have been in the State Park three times this week working ourselves back into shape slowly. The meal plan has improved and I’m hoping for one pound this week. I have lofty goals for next summer 🙂

• hikingtohealthy 10/14/2012 at 3:19 pm #

Yay! That is awesome Ingrid!!! I love the state parks in Colorado, they are so beautiful. Good luck on those goals!!!

3. linhartb 10/14/2012 at 2:16 pm #

Sorry to hear your plans didn’t work out this weekend. I didn’t feel bad about not getting out yesterday because of the weather but today is so nice I wish I was out hiking instead of sitting inside!

• hikingtohealthy 10/14/2012 at 3:25 pm #

You are so right, yesterday it didn’t rub as much with all that rain and clouds. I have to admit, we just got a 7 mile walk done in our neighborhood in because I could not sit on my butt one more minute and it is so beautiful out!!!

• Brandi Coolsaet 10/15/2012 at 2:13 pm #

Awe that is great Kathy! I must say after playing capture the flag on Saturday in the rain with a bunch of 30 year olds was great! Being kids again and laughing. Except the next day, not so much a kid anymore.. my legs were in pain. Time to start little and enjoy a long walk! Thanks and I hope you are feeling better 🙂

• hikingtohealthy 10/15/2012 at 7:29 pm #

Ha! Brandi capture the flag is awesome!!! I have to get back to Yoga with you so I can work on my core strength!!!

4. Kyle Kuns 10/15/2012 at 11:33 am #

I’ve had a few hiking days sabotaged in similar fashion lately. Good luck with your weight loss. I’m on a similar journey. Seeing hiking as an indulgence has made the process enjoyable for me.

• hikingtohealthy 10/15/2012 at 7:19 pm #

Thanks Kyle! It seems like mother nature just has to take charge some times and detour us! I really like your blog by the way, thanks for stopping by an the follow!

5. Janet 10/15/2012 at 1:54 pm #

I had the same type of weekend two weeks ago. It’s disappointing. I hope you’re better soon.

• hikingtohealthy 10/15/2012 at 7:28 pm #

I am better now, thank you. I was able to get a full workout in today, so my hikes with my sister this week & weekend will be extra good! Thanks for stopping by and checking my blog out!

6. Carol Page-Potter 10/16/2012 at 6:24 am #

All a part of learning to “go with the flow”. Sorry to hear “the flow” involved being sick – UGH! But sounds like you are feeling better. Look forward to hearing about your next adventure!

• hikingtohealthy 10/16/2012 at 11:55 am #

I am feeling better! The weather is going to beautiful this weekend so our hikes are on!!!